Happy Hump dayyyyy!!!
Oh my goodness… Today marks exactly 4 weeks until we leave for Hawaii!!!!! Super exciting. I am surprised how fast January has flown by. Typically I find this month to be super slow.
Today, I have a little recipe to share with you guys.
Greg and I (like many others I am sure) always try to make new recipes at home, but usually end up landing on 6 or 8 meals that we rotate for dinners. Then I’ll get inspired to make some new ones, we’ll discover 1 or 2 more to add to the rotation… and the cycle continues. A few months back, we stumbled upon burrito bowls. I know, I know… those are so 2015! But we were late to the game on this one, and we’re still obsessed with them.
The beauty of burrito bowls is you can really put whatever YOU like in them. There’s no real recipe to follow. I find the key flavours land in the sauce that you decide to put on – and Greg has come up with a pretty fab recipe for our burrito bowl sauce.
Ok so just to give you an idea, for the bowl it usually looks something like this:
- Wild Rice/quinoa as the base (I usually used about 1/2 a cup)
- Red/orange peppers, diced
- red cabbage (this is KEY for me!)
- red onion
- black beans
- green olives (also a MUST have for my bowl)
- choice of added protein if you’d like (we used tempeh here)
* Note * – Greg and I usually combine the rice and black beans in a pan just to warm them up since the rest of the bowl is cold
(these are estimates – Greg doesn’t usually measure)
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1.5 chipotle peppers (the ones in adobo sauce that are canned)
- 1-2 garlic cloves
– adjust your amounts to taste, and add more salsa/lime/water if you need to thin it out a little bit
Give it a go and let us know what you think! This is a once a week-er in our home, at least! 🙂